9.2.12

Emotional Eating.

Also known as “that’s not vegetarian”….

salmon paste

I’m feeling a bit off today & wasn’t able to manage breakfast, so when I was wandering the aisles at the supermarket before lunch I was hoping to find something that I wanted to eat. While loitering in front of the Vegemite I looked up & saw these “Peck’s” pastes.

Obviously, they are not a vego option, nor are they, usually, particularly palatable to anyone under 57, but I stood there looking at them all the same.

I remembered the last time I had actively noticed a jar of Peck’s paste was many, many years ago, in my Nanna’s fridge. My Pa used to have a couple of different little jars on the go at a time, with delectable sounding names like “anchovette” & “chicken & ham”.

I remembered how the smell of them intrigued me (there is no other word for it) & how I would often have a little bit spread on some buttery toast to nibble while my Pa munched on his own much more liberally spread slice.

The memory was nice. I miss my Pa still, even though it has been a very long time since he passed away; he was much more than a Grandpa to me, he was my father figure when I didn’t have one & so many of my happy childhood memories have him at the center.

So I bought some damn Peck’s paste.

And I brought it home. I spread a little on some buttery toast & I ate it, & it was good. It’s not something I would recommend… ever… it has a salty, odd taste, a taste that I would struggle to liken to anything else, but to me, today, it tasted like I a much-needed hug from someone I wish was still here.

24 comments:

  1. Naw... love this. I completely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too. I get it completely. I was driving near my mum and dad's place recently and I was feeling strange. It hit home how much I miss my mum since she passed and how much I miss my dad since he left the country for 6 months. I went home and made a dish mum made all the time and it made me feel a little better. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that taste. It's the same flavour as Mum's Tuna Casserole. Sometimes I'd make it when I was living overseas (much to the bemusement of the Dutch locals). And it was a bit like cooking up a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bit jealous of your food hug. I hope I can create something like that for my daughter. It really sounds like a special way to remember someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Vic. How special that your Pa was such an important person in your life. I was raised on Pecks paste. Anchovette was the spread of choice at our place. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my Mum putting this spread onto my sandwiches when I went to school and being teased even more than the vegemite sandwiches got teased. I asked her to never give it to me again but at home I would secretly spread it on my sandwiches!
    I'm sorry to hear about your Pa, you will always have his memories x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Pecks (not very fondly, I'm afraid) my Mum sometimes spread it on our school sandwiches, and they always ended up in the bin (no-one would swap!) but I do think the memories you associate with it are lovely and special Vic x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice post, and I love the emotions behind it, but I will neeeeever eat that.

    I had Clamato once at University and nearly vommed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post that brought a tear or two. I completely understand what your saying because I have a few strange things that bring my Dad back to me. I'm sure if I talked to my daughter she would have some foods that bring back memories of Pa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. confession, I actually like pecks. for me a dish hug would be caramel dumplings.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can just imagine the smell!
    What a lovely way to remember and to help you
    feel better. XXXJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet... a Vino and lemonade reminds me of my Pa. He used to make his own Vino in the garage under the house in Coragulac. Ahhhh memories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS - how did I not know that you were vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL cravings, not trying to tell us something, Vic?

    ReplyDelete
  15. We used to have that in our fridge when I was young too. I liked it on toast but I hated it in sandwiches at school. It would be all warm and stinky by the time lunch came around! Yuk!

    I love how you've described the whole experience though, the food hug. Just delightful! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. extraordinary how food can bring the memory of someone back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful post Vic, and it didn't think it was possible to come from a jar Peck's paste.
    brought a tear to my eye and the weirdest urge to try some...xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just had a flashback to the family Westinghouse growing up in the country where my beloved Dad had and assortment of unpalatable from brawn to Peck's anchovette paste. I will look for it next time and consider whether it would be a realistic purchase or not!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww this is such a sweet post, I totally understand what you mean *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lovely post, Vic.

    I too remember Anchovette on toast growing up. I suspect we Aussie kids brought up Vegemite can tolerate such salty spreads. I bought one of them for my kids to try a few years back but they didn't like it. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a really nice post. I used to love Pecks paste and had it all the time when I was growing up, and, to be honest, I would be a bit chuffed to have it again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is the loveliest post , thanks so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I so understand. I have been eating smoked almonds this week, they are quite addictive, and remind me of my Pa, who I still miss terribly, even after 12 years. A smoked almond hug from me to you.

    ReplyDelete

Let's have a chat. And a biscuit. And some tea. And another biscuit.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin